Over 90% of serial killers are male, they tend to come from low to middle class backgrounds. Usually intelligent, with troubled childhood. Often being abused psychologically, physically or sexually. They tend to spend much time on their own and practice animal cruelty at young age.
With 5% of worlds population, the United States produces more serial killers than any other nation on earth, counting 76% of total. Ted Bundy, American psychopath and serial killer fits perfectly into this category.
A true psychopath, without any empathy at all, he killed and raped at least 36 people, majority of them women. Ted Bundy was born into poverty, never knew his father, had good grades at school, but unimaginable temper. At age of 16 he became voyeur, obsessed with masturbating.
Despite being a bright young man, he dropped out of college and worked at a series of minimum-wage jobs. Later he pulled himself together and was able to graduate, he even matriculated at UPS Law School. At about the same time Bundy began skipping classes at law school, the young women began to disappear.
Ted Bundy lured his victims, clubbed and handcuffed them, often strangled and spent nights with his victims bodies. He liked to revisit the corpses of his victims.
Bundy was extremely organized and calculating serial killer who used his knowledge of law enforcement methodologies to elude identification and capture. He purposely distributed his crimes over large geographic areas.
Bundy underwent multiple psychiatric examinations. Initially the diagnosis was bipolar disorder, also suggested the possibility of a multiple personality disorder. Later evidence pointed away from bipolar disorder or psychoses. It was concluded he had antisocial personality disorder – people frequently identified as "sociopaths" or "psychopaths" – are often outwardly charming, even charismatic. Nevertheless beneath the facade there is little true personality or genuine insight.
Bundy confessed to 30 murders, but the true total remains unknown. Published estimates have run as high as 100 or more.
Even more bizarre, when Bundy was at trial and his cruel murders were revealed in graphic detail, bags of fan mail started to arrive. He got love letter, marriage proposals, nude photographs from lots and lots of women. Groupies appeared in court, desperate for Bundy's attention, proving how charming and manipulative character Ted was. Even knowing his dark past and being locked up, he was still able to wrap women around his finger.
- On January 5th, 1974, Bundy assaulted and and raped Joni Lenz. She was his first victim.
- A month after assaulting Joni Lenz, Bundy murders Lynda Ann Healy.
- From now on, Bundy starts killing women at a rate of around one for each month.
- By July of 1974, Police finds striking pattern. Ladies who are youthful and thin, with dark brown hair that part down the middle. A remarkable similarity to his ex-fiancée, Stephanie Brooks.
- In the fall of 1974, Ted Bundy stars taking classes at law school, when he starts began skipping the lectures, the young women start to disappear.
- On January 12th, 1975, Bundy moves to Colorado. Abducts and kills Caryn Campbell in her hotel.
- In August of 1975, a nearby Utah policeman spots Ted Bundy driving around at 2:30 AM, when he approaches him, Bundy speeds away. A little later he gets arrested. The officer discovers burglary tools in the back of Bundy's car.
- Due to witness statements, Ted Bundy is charged aggravated kidnapping of Carol DaRonch.
- He is found guilty and charged with up to 15 years in prison.
- In October 1977, he is found guilty of killing Caryn Campbell.
- In June of 1977, Bundy is able to escape but after 6 days of manhunt is arrested again.
- After six months he flees again and is able to go to Tallahassee, Florida.
- In Tallahassee, he breaks into a sorority house, fiercely beats and kills 4 women. Later he flees from the college campus and kills Cheryl Thomas in her house.
- Afterwards, he he abducts 12-year-old Kimberly Leach from her school in Lake City, Florida. Bundy is arrested 6 days later.
- During his trial in 1979, the psychopath decides to represents himself despite having 5 attorneys. Most likely for attention and pleasure. He is found guilty for the murders and sentenced to death row.
- On January 24th of 1989, Bundy is executed on the electric chair.
Difficult question to answer, but most likely because he enjoyed it. Enjoyed having power over his victims, brutalizing and raping them. Despite his charisma and confidence, deep inside he was insecure man.
Factors that could have played a part:
- Bundy reveled to journalists he was introduced to pornography at a very young age and got addicted to hardcore, violent pornography.Once addicted, he had to find more violent, more graphic content to fuel his addiction. When he wasn't able to satisfy his sexual needs with pornography, he needed to fulfilled his desires with reality – He started to perform the cruel acts – raping and killing.While most of the men watch pornography, often hardcore or even violent, majority don't need to repeat those acts. At least not in non-consensual way.
His first girlfriend left him, because she though he was a loser without future.
Being betrayed by his mother. Bundy found out she was his mother, but he grew up with the knowledge she is her sister.
- Bundy was diagnosed as a High Factor 1 Psychopath, which means he was intelligent and had very few signs of psychopathy early in his life. Most likely he was born evil.
Just like many serial killers, Bundy was a mixture of two – bad genes and bad childhood.