- When Chikatilo was arrested, rotten human flesh in his digestion emitted a disturbing smell. He later reclaimed not to have eaten bread until the age of twelve and claimed his family had to eat grass and leaves from trees to fill their appetite.
- As a result of the investigation his killing spree, an astonishing 1000 unrelated crimes, including 95 murders and 245 rapes, were solved.
Serial killers – stories from real life
The most evil and notorious serial killers in history. Andrei Chikatilo, Rodney Alcala, Ted Bundy, BTK and Harold Shipman. Who is not fascinated by the serial killers? For the most part, serial killers commit murders purely for psychological satisfaction in order to satisfy their own selfish needs.
Serial killers here are as defined by FBI: someone who commits two or more murders with "cooling-off" periods. The cooling-off period marks the difference between a spree murder and a serial murder.
There is no generic template or a single factor that leads to the development of a serial killer rather a multitude of factors such as other violent offenses, biological, social, and psychological traits. Each killer is driven by their own unique motives or reasons and is not limited to a specific demographic group, such as their sex, age or race.
“What I did was not for sexual pleasure. Rather it brought me some peace of mind.”
– Cannibal Andrei Chikatilo, who ate the organs of his victims.
Over 90% of serial killers are male, they tend to come from low to middle class backgrounds. Usually intelligent, with troubled childhood. Often being abused psychologically, physically or sexually. They tend to spend much time on their own and practice animal cruelty at young age.
With 5% of worlds population, the United States produces more serial killers than any other nation on earth, counting 76% of total. Ted Bundy, American psychopath and serial killer fits perfectly into this category.
Richard Kuklinski was a hitman. Neither his wife nor daughters had any clue about his real profession – being a mafia assassin for hire. After his conviction, Kuklinski took part in a number of interviews during which he claimed to have murdered from 100 to 250 men. The motive was simple – money, in order to give his family a better life than he had. He was dubbed as The Iceman for freezing his victim to mask the time of death and lacking any emotion toward his victims.
Being cold and calculative was what kept Kuklinski under the radar for over 30 years.
- Karla promised her sister’s virginity to his beloved husband Paul for Christmas.
- The horrific acts were videotaped by the couple, in order to relive their fantasies later.
- Two weeks before getting married, they tortured, raped, and eventually killed 15-year-old Kristen French.